- Original company member and performer of Stomp, one of the most successful shows ever to come out of the UK, breaking box office records at Sadlers' Wells, Royal Festival Hall and around the rest of the world.
- Moved to New York as Artistic Director of the Original US Stomp company, now celebrating 25 years of Off Broadway success.
- First Stomp short film nominated for an Oscar in "Live Action Short" category.
- Performed at the Oscars, Grammys and recorded with Quincy Jones on the album 'Q's Jook Joint'.
- Work he has featured in has also been nominated for an Oscar and a Grammy.
- HBO Special filmed. "Stomp Out Loud".
- Took Stomp to South America. Chile, Argentina, Brasil
- Stomp based workshop tour of Brasil, visiting Sao Paolo, Rio de Janeiro, Florianopolis, Porto Alegre, Canelas and Salvador.
- In each city workshops were given free of charge for community projects such as Afro Reggae in Vigario Geral Rio de Janeiro and Candeal Gueto Square in Salvador.
- As an opening event for the workshop tour Carl performed in a show with Tom Ze, Otto and Quinteto Violado.
- Recorded with Bate Lata.
- Carl created and performed in a show for the opening of the Johnnie Walker international marketing campaign "Keep Walking" involving selected performers from the workshop tour.
-Currently based in London, Carl is working as a session musician and enjoying playing live with some of the finest and most diverse musicians and producers in the UK including Dalata, Diabel Cissokho, Beibei Wang, Reel People, Toni Economides.
"Giant" Seth Ullian.
"Brilliant man brilliant musician" Beibei Wang.
"Musical Powerhouse" Directors of Stomp.
"Most original and versatile percussionist in London" Patrick Forge.
There are countless imitators offering workshops and performances in this genre created by us. This is the genuine article. Look no further.
In the wake of our celebrating an exceptional 25 years of STOMP in New York, I am currently offering workshops featuring junk and body percussion in schools, for corporate events and at masterclass level. The energy, creativity, and opportunity for learning, growth and expression in this environment is unique and without equal. Workshops are also available across a broad range of percussion instruments.
Using one's body and random household items or "rubbish" to create unique sounds, textures and music - particularly at a time of crisis on this planet with the ever growing importance of recycling - is so invigorating and uplifting! I'm passionate about working with people to inspire their innate ability to create, thrive and promote wellness in their lives. I've seen first hand what a workshop like this can do for self esteem, confidence, team building and of course musical sensibility.
" All the pupils thoroughly enjoyed the workshop with Carl, who presented an engaging, challenging yet fun filled experience for even the most timid of participants, including some of the teachers present! The workshop offered the children an experience which encouraged them to work as a team whilst also promoting individual expression in a solo spot! The highlight of the day was a final performance for the rest of the school in which the children showed what they had achieved over the course of the day."
Sarah Gillam, Head Teacher Maple Walk School, London.
"Carl was part of a term long music and percussion project with children in year 6 at Whitehawk Primary School Brighton. Throughout that time he played a key role in coordinating the end of year production and leading rehearsals for the Kids'Parade. Carl was always sensitive towards the needs of the children and encouraged even the most challenging children to participate in sessions. The children warmed to his inherently warm and fun personality and he was an excellent role model for them. They thoroughly enjoyed the experience and looked forward to the sessions every week."
Fiona Kidney, Whitehawk School, Brighton.
"Carl Smith , one of the original cast members of STOMP, who performed for several years across the globe with us. Described by Patrick Forge as "the most versatile and original percussionist in London", he was the madly inventive, incredibly skillful, irreverent, witty musical powerhouse behind the original incarnation of the role we refer to as Dr.Who... formerly known as Brummie...both names refer to Carl, one for his place of birth, another for his ability to travel through time...
After living in Brasil, his spiritual homeland, he is now based in London, and any live performance he is involved in is worth a visit!"
The Directors of STOMP
First and foremost, a Stomp workshop is FUN. Carl Smith, the workshop leader is one of the founder members and performers of Stomp. He has toured the world with the sell out show and was Artistic Director of the New York show which is still going strong after 25 years. He has extensive global experience in giving Stomp workshops, has years of experience working with children and can encourage even the shyest child to participate. The workshop appeals to all children of primary age and above.
The magic of a Stomp workshop is that no actual instruments are used. The students will learn how to make sounds with their bodies and/or junk percussion, creating a musical experience they won't have had before. They will, over the course of the workshop, quickly develop a sense of being part of a group, and encouraged to express themselves individually, especially when it comes to doing solos! In the body percussion workshop the students will use their hands, feet and any other body part which can be used to make sound and rhythm. This also involves movement, humour and some basic choreography.
Workshops for adults, Masterclasses and Corporate Events also available
Sign up to hear upcoming shows, albums, and events.